Buy Environment Agency Rod License

If you are aged 12 years or over, fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England, Wales or the Border Esk and its tributaries in Scotland you must have an Environment Agency rod licence.

Money from the sale of rod licences helps fund the Environment Agency's (EA) work managing fisheries.

If you are caught fishing without a licence you could be fined up to £2,500.

A full range of licences is available on the EA website, the link at the bottom of this page will take you to the page that outlines further details including payment options. You can buy the following licences online:

  • Full licences
  • Junior Licenses (12 to 16 years old)
  • Eight day licenses
  • One day licenses

You can now buy your rod license online. Click on this link to buy your rod license online from the EA website.

If you would like to check out the fishing section of the EA website click on the link.